Sunday, May 29, 2011

NBA Finals 2011


Let's all be honest. Miami is probably going to win. Why? Because we hate them.
I feel like that's generally the case with professional sports. If your team doesn't win then the team you hate the most probably will. As a Red Sox fan and a Yankee-hater, this has happened all too often.

But we all know that the Miami Heat have taken the role of villain to an entirely new level. They've combined the cockiness of the NY Jets and the talent of the NY Yankees (notice a trend - I'm not a big New York sports fan...) and created a love child I like to call "The Three Egos". Though, to be fair, LeBron sets himself apart from Wade and Bosh in that respect. And wow, do I hate them. Don't we all...

At the beginning of the season, I wasn't ready to hate the Heat yet. I was still sore from last years final in which my Boston Celtics lost by a slim margin in game 7 to the fucking Lakers. It was intriguing though: I'd never been in a situation as a pro sports fan in which I had two teams to hate. Sure, I only rooted for the home team, but I only really hated one team at a time. But then came along 2011. Whereas I hated the Lakers because they've basically been our biggest rival since acquiring Garnett and Allen a few years back, I began to hate the Heat because, well, they were cocky assholes. They still are.

LeBron literally pounds his chest like an idiot every time he dunks the ball. Like...come on. You're paid millions of dollars to make those shots dude. Don't act like you've conquered Everest every time you cash in a couple points. There's having a game face and then there's posing for the cameras.
I guess they were doomed from the start, though. "I'm bringing my talents to South Beach". What a freaking ass. Then they had that massive Pep Rally with guns blazing and fans roaring as if they'd already won the finals together.

I guess, as a New England sports fan, I've always appreciated letting the game do the talking. Between the Pats, the Sox, the B's and the Celtics, we have some seriously classy guys. So, when I see assholes like LeBron and Rex Ryan trying to talk their way into the spot light, it starts to annoy me.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I hope Dirk and the Mavs can man up, even if their owner is a total douche bag. Please, don't let the Heat win. Don't encourage their superior douche-dom. Show them that a ring requires more than a WWE-like preseason pep-rally and a salary cap that could probably buy Manhattan.

P.S. Excuse the abrupt shift from my Lewis Black-like ranting to an NBA Finals Preview/condemnation. I guess this kind of plays into the idea that I'm going to use this blog to write what I feel like writing? But again, who's reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment